Sunday, February 1, 2009

What if I need medication?

If I believed you might benefit from taking medication I would discuss the issue with you and if you were open I would refer you to a psychiatrist for a medication evaluation.  A psychiatrist is a medical doctor with a specialty in psychiatry and an in depth knowledge of the medications used to aid in the treatment of disorders such as depression, anxiety, panic disorder, bipolar disorder, ADD, and obsessive compulsive disorder.  Medication can only be prescribed by medical doctors.  The psychiatrist would spend an hour or so talking with you in order to determine whether you were a candidate for medication and which meds would likely work best for your symptoms.  The psychiatrist would answer questions and give you his/her recommendations and a prescription if you decided you wanted to try the medication.  The psychiatrist would monitor you closely in the weeks ahead in order to establish how you were responding to the meds. During the course of therapy you and I would also be talking about your experience of the medication and I would confer with your psychiatrist (with your permission) whenever I thought it was necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment